Nootropics (sometimes called “smart drugs”) are a natural or synthetic substances that enhance cognitive function. They are classified as dietary supplements, synthetic compounds, or prescription drugs depending on their FDA-approved purpose (1) and are used for a variety intended outcomes including:
- Memory enhancement
- Mood & depression
- Attention & focus
- Longevity & anti-aging
- Sleep & recovery
The word “nootropic” was named for the Greek words for mind (nous) and bend (trepein) by Corneliu Giugea, who coined the term in 1972 and is often called the “father of nootropics”(2). Giugea discovered the first synthetic nootropic in 1964, while searching for a sleep-aid related to the neurotransmitter GABA. This compound would later become known as Piracetam (3).
The goal of nootropics is to have a beneficial effect on brain function of healthy people. While this definition somewhat subjective, Giugea’s original definition was based on the requirement that to be classified as a nootropic, a substance must:
- Enhance learning & memory
- Facilitate the transfer of information in the brain
- Be neither a stimulant or depressant
- Strengthen control of cortical/subcortical processes in the brain
- Protect the brain against physical and chemical brain injury
- Be non-toxic, non-habit forming, and have low-to-no side effects
The definition of nootropics has shifted over the years; for example, caffeine is widely considered to be a nootropic, despite its stimulating effect implying the contrary (3) Although the nootropics category is broadening, due in part due to a looser definition of the substances classified under it, Neurologix strives to uphold its original definition in order to preserve the beneficial impact and potential of these substances.
Step 1: Complete the self assessment
Our proprietary algorithm uses “wellness markers” across the fields of neuroscience, nutrition, and psychology to establish your physical baseline and also provide you with probabilistic insights into your physical health, brain health and cognitive function. We use conditional logic to ask questions that are most relevant to your individual needs, and take your existing medical conditions (and medications) into account when providing feedback, including:
- Potential nutrient gaps or nutrient deficiencies, based on diet/lifestyle/overall health. Over 30% of Americans are at risk for having at least one nutrient deficiency and the liklihood increases, based on a number of factors (1)
- Nutrients which might help mitigate or reduce the symptoms most often experienced with the pre-existing health conditions you marked. Suboptimal levels of folic acid, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12 are a risk factor for cardiovascular disease; low levels of vitamin D increase the likelihood of osteopenia and fractures (2). Many chronic diseases can be managed or even treated by making adjustments to your diet and nutrient intake.
- Nutrients that have been shown to improve cognitive function and brain health (3), in addition to research and clinical studies for validation and context (4).
Step 2: Select your personalized nutrition solution
We offer a range of nutritional supplements and nootropics that have been carefully researched, formulated, and tested to ensure that we achieve the best results. Whether you’re looking to find a healthier alternative to the ‘multivitamin’ or are struggling with corporate burnout and exhaustion, we have a solution for you! We offer the following:
- Products: Dietary supplements that fill potential nutrient gaps, help prevent/reduce the risk of chronic health condition, and/or promote feelings of wellbeing while increasing energy levels (alertness), focus (task completion), and motivation (productivity).
- Services: Health coaching services (currently includes health coaching beta program)
- Wellness Program (coming soon!): Subscription-based bundle of our products and services, with premium access to partner products and nutrient testing kits.
Step 3: Achieve your long-term health objectives
We strive for continuous improvement of our products through continued research, innovation, and strategic partnerships (to gain access to cutting edge technologies). So whether you choose to be a more active member of our online community or prefer to just drop in for our products from time to time, we’ll be here to support you!
Take our free Assessment today, for personalized nutrition insights
Although all of our products have been thoroughly tested for quality and safety, and are safe for most healthy individuals, we recommend taking the assessment to ensure you’re taking products that are more likely to work well for your unique body chemistry, and fit in with your diet, lifestyle, and overall health goals.
Our product prices are all based on a 30-day supply and should last a full month.
Our version of the ‘multivitamin’ includes a morning (“Wake”) and an evening (“Sleep”) solution and costs $49.95, or approximately $1.67 per day. Assuming you do not suffer from any major health conditions and do not receive any additional recommendations from your assessment, this product will provide all the nutrition your body needs to maintain optimal function.
Our nootropics-based products (Recharge, Focus, Motivate, and Vitality) range from $39.95 to $44.95 per bottle ($0.83 to $1.50 per day) for a 30-day supply. These products are recommended on the basis of our online assessment
For more information, visit our product page
- We take a holistic approach to personalized nutrition, offering foundational daily nutrition products in addition to supplemental solutions to take on the days we need them.
- We only use the purest, most bioavailable, and natural ingredients possible in our products and believe that continuous improvement is the key to innovation.
- By cross referencing our clients’ medications and medical history (provided upon creating an account) with each ingredient in our database, we ensure their safety and satisfaction.
- We use a combination of nutritional supplements, nutraceuticals, and nootropics in our products and hope to make these natural products more approachable to a mass customer base. If you are interested in learning more about our ingredients or formulation approach, please visit our science page.
- We are customer focused. For that reason, if you are not satisfied for any reason, we offer a 100% money back guarantee for returned product.
- We are happy to answer any questions you have about our products or services through our help center or by scheduling an appointment on our contact page.
We prioritize safety above all else, sourcing only those ingredients that have been third party (COA) tested and either classified by the FDA as Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) or have passed through Phase III clinical trials.
Neurologix products are formulated with the highest quality ingredients available on the market today.
Our products do not contain fillers, binders, dyes, mixing agents, or preservatives of any kind.
ALL of the ingredients we use are sourced in the USA and are tested for quality and purity by batch.
The dose and form of each ingredient we use matches the dose and form supported and proven safe in human clinical trials.
Unlike pharmaceutical drugs, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not regulate dietary supplements. Despite this fact, about 77% of adults in the United States report using at least one dietary supplement and 85% of them say they are confident in the safety, quality, and efficacy of these products.
Questions to ask yourself when selecting a dietary supplement:
- Is it a tablet or capsule? Capsules tend to have higher bioavailability, which means that more of the drug is likely to enter your bloodstream and therefore may be more effective. They also break down more quickly and evenly as compared to tablets. While both capsules and tables may contain inactive excipients (listed as “other ingredients on the label), tablets usually require binders and fillers to hold them together in the manufacturing process.
- Is it a “one-a-day” multivitamin, taken as a single dose? Multivitamins contain a variety of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Some of these nutrients are water soluble (better absorbed on an empty stomach), whereas some are fat soluble (are better absorbed after a meal containing fats) – which means that no matter when you’re taking your multivitamin, many of the nutrients in it will never be absorbed by your body at all.
- Are any of the minerals listed as “-oxide?” Dietary supplements containing minerals, (i.e. magnesium, potassium, zinc, etc.) come in different forms, which affects their ability to be absorbed. Minerals that are in the “oxide” form tend to have a low absorption rate. For example, magnesium oxide is virtually insoluble (cannot be absorbed) on an empty stomach, and only 43% can be absorbed in optimal conditions (1) This means that over 60% of this ingredient passes right through you and is eliminated in your stool. In fact, magnesium oxide is so poorly absorbed that it’s used in higher amounts as a laxative.
Instead, look for dietary supplement formulas that:
- Have human clinical trials conducted on the nutrients in the product.
- Contain both the dose and form of nutrients used in the studies cited for the product.
There are 23,000 supplement related emergency room visits each year (2). While it is unlikely that taking a dietary supplement will pose a serious risk to your health, side effects can be common, especially when these products are taken at high doses or interact with prescription medications (3).
Some examples of common nutrient-drug interactions:
Calcium: Interacts with corticosteroids, diuretics, benzodiazepines, SSRIs
Vitamin D: Interacts with corticosteroids, bile acid sequestrants, SSRIs
Folic Acid: Interacts with oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapy
Vitamin B12: Interacts with Metformin, HRAs, hormone replacement therapy
Magnesium: Interacts with oral contraceptives, dioxin, thiazide diuretics, PPIs
To minimize the risk of nutrient-drug interactions, we recommend that you take the online assessment. We cross reference health conditions and medications with all of the ingredients in our products and will let you know of any potential interactions prior to purchasing Neurologix products for the first time.
Our products should not be taken by anyone under the age of 18.
Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take Neurologix products.
If you have a medical condition or are taking prescription medication, we recommend speaking with a doctor before taking any of our products.
While our long term goal is to provide all the nutrition your body needs for peak physical and cognitive performance, there may be other supplements, herbs, nutraceuticals that can be beneficial for you beyond what is included in Neurologix products. Please consult with a medical doctor before you make any changes to your daily supplement regimen.
If you have an existing health condition or concern, we recommend you consult a medical doctor before taking any dietary supplements or nootropics.
Please do not take these products if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
We research, formulate, design, and manufacture ALL of our existing products using Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards (certification pending).
Our products are 100% pure and have NO additives, fillers, or mixing agents of any kind.
We are 100% sourced and manufactured in the USA.
At present, Neurologix products are available solely on our website.
We are located in Portland, Oregon:
2715 NE 8th Ave. Ste 165
Portland, OR 97202
You do not need to sign up for an account to take the assessment.
By signing up for a free account and logging in, you will be able to save your progress as you take the assessment. The next time you login, you will be taken to the spot you left off at, and your results can be viewed at any time following completion of the assessment. We recommend that you take the assessment a few times over the course of your first few months with us; this will help you to identify improvements and track changes in your overall physical and cognitive health.
You do not need an account to order our products.
Upon checking out, select the checked out and placed your order. After payment is accepted, you’ll be prompted to create a password, which will create your account and finish setting up your account!
We accept bank issued debit and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, and Diners Club). We also accept payment via PayPal. We do not accept Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or prepaid cards just yet.
We will be offering an affiliates program, beginning in September. To be notified when this happens, please sign up here
Nothing can replace a balanced diet,
however most people do not get optimal nutrition through the foods they
eat. Neurologix Morning and Evening formulations fill those nutrient gaps
and Boosters provide enhanced cognitive function/performance.